The ECPR Working Group (WG) on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) was established by ECPR’s Executive Committee in 2021, to identify and respond to areas of underrepresentation created by potential disadvantage or bias across our activities and the broader community.
The Working Group builds on progress already made in relation to gender representation across ECPR. Since 2015 we have published our annual Gender Study looking at the proportion of women taking part in all ECPR events, publishing-related activities and in leadership and governance posts. As a response to the areas of underrepresentation identified we published our Gender Equality Plan (GEP) in 2018, which set out a series of actionable targets, including for example the introduction of two ballots for the EC election in 2021, which finally bough parity to the organisation’s board. Nearly all targets set in the GEP have now been met, but we will continue to collect and publish these data each year.
The Working Group defines EDI in broad terms, to encompass gender identity, geography, race and ethnicity, socio-economic background, disability, thematic area of interest.
Aims and objectives
The Working Group intends to develop an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Plan, which will include a set of principles, objectives and actions.
It aims at:
- Launching an open and ongoing debate on the matter;
- Involving scholars from across the discipline, both from within ECPR’s Groups and Networks, Member and non-member institutions;
- Collecting data on engagement and participation in ECPR activities across a range of demographics;
- Gathering ideas and suggestions;
- Promoting opportunities for discussion and reflection;
- Learning what ECPR can do to improve equality of access and representation in the field.
- Amy Verdun Working Group Chair
- David Farrell ECPR Chair
- Petra Meier ECPR Vice Chair and Executive Committee Member
- Giliberto Capano ECPR Executive Committee Member
- Ashlee Christoffersen ECPR Standing Group on Gender and Politics Steering Committee Member
- Tanja Munro ECPR Director
Get in touch
Questions? Get in touch with us at email@example.com.